Lewis Hamilton is Formula One World Champion. Barack Obama is President of the USA. Blur are getting back together. All is well. But born misanthropes that we are, Crave is done surfing the last week's wave of positivity and is hitting the sugarcrash. Hard luck then for the Fujifilm FinePix J150w, a perfectly serviceable 10-megapixel point-and-shoot camera that should have clocked what kind of mood we were in and sidled back out before we noticed it.
It has a boxy, simple design with a subtle brushed effect on the face. We like the angled blades of the lens cover, making the J150 look a lot like the Ricoh R7 -- remember that? Now that was a camera.
The screen is a substantial 76mm (3-inch) with a resolution of roughly 230,000 dots. For some reason Fujifilm informs us that the screen gives 97 per cent coverage: eh? What's the point of a live view screen that leaves any of the frame out? That 3 per cent may contain something really interesting.
Scene modes are the usual: portrait, landscape, beach, sport, fireworks, blah blah blah. Crave hates fireworks. Oooh. Aaah. Repeat. Where are the bonkers scene modes? Baby mode: yeah, whatever. It's no firefighting mode, is it?
Video is the bog-standard 640x480-pixel VGA resolution at 30 frames per second, with the option to dial down to 320x240. It's only monaural sound, and you can't zoom during movie recording. It's not high definition, is it?
The J150w does pack a creditable 5x optical zoom lens, with a 28mm wide angle, equivalent to a 35mm camera. Oh all right, that is impressive.
The Fujifilm FinePix J150w is available now for just under £100. We're off to scowl at anyone who mentions Christmas. We really hate Christmas.